Using nagios for reporting on non-machine data such as employees?

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 04:59:59 CEST 2007

We have various systems that keep track of employee data: when an
employee was last paid, hours of sick/vacation leave accrued,
employee's laptop's last IP address (from DHCP server), last time
employee's laptop was backed up (from backup server), whether employee
is on-lave/traveling, whether the employee has been receiving email
(vs employee's mailbox being full, account not setup properly, etc),
etc.

I realized we could use nagios' "passive service checks" to have the
various systems upload employee data to our nagios server, but was
wondering if this was fitting a round peg into a square hole.

Is nagios a good tool for monitoring things that aren't machines? If
not, what would be a good tool?

One concern: nagios tends to treat data as almost "binary"-- either
something is good (green) or bad (red) [yes, yellow + "unknown" also
exist, but it's still almost binary]. In some cases, we're just
looking to create an "employee status report" page that has text data
on the employee (pushed from various servers), without necessarily
categorizing the data as "good" or "bad".