Issues starting nagios...

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Tue Apr 24 21:39:45 CEST 2007

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, James Emerson wrote:

> Fixed that issue, thank you so much for your help. Here is the new issue
> that i am having.
>
> [root at localhost nagios]# nagios -v nagios.cfg
>
> Nagios 2.9
> Copyright (c) 1999-2007 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
> Last Modified: 04-10-2007
> License: GPL
>
> Reading configuration data...
>
> Error: Cannot open config file '/etc/nagios/dependencies.cfg' for reading:
> No such file or directory

I think this is the time at which Ethan gets the hardcover manual and
throws it at you.

I suggest you read the manual cover to cover in a fast way at least once
and dig into the issues that are not clear. Then read the nagios config
file and make sure you understand it.

I recommend you set the samples aside and build the config from scratch so
you know what you did put in there.

Combining the included samples and the knowledge from the manual should
get going in the long run while understanding what you did build. Getting
quick fixes means you start running back for help at each tiny bump in the
road.

There is no substitute for experience.

Hugo.

 		(Thanks JFK, for the insight.)