example how to monitor a performance counterfrom windows with nsclient?[Scanned]

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 18:25:00 CEST 2007

The Check command from the Nagios v3.x Documentation should be better to use
in most situations:

define command{
	command_name	check_nt
	command_line	$USER1$/check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 1248 -v $ARG1$ $ARG2$
	}

(make sure port matches your systems and change it to check_nc_net if
using it in place of check_nt)

as for the service definition the problems with the one you proposed
was A) it is missing the instance, B) it mispelled the counter name,
avg. instead of average

If you upgrade to NC_NEt then the Counter name, counter instaces and
the Counter Category could have been checked remotly. using
ENUMCOUNTER and INSTANCES (check_nc_net is required to use these
commands and it is backwards compatible with Check_nt)

>From the command line this is the prefered syntex if your using NC_NEt
because it eliminates the \ and () making the parsing of instance and
catagory a bit easier. (this syntex works when using either check_nt
and check_nc_net. on NC_NEt only)

./check_nt -H notebook1 -v COUNTER -l '^PhysicalDisk^_total^avg. disk sec/write'
otherwise the older command line syntex that should work on most
clients(including NC_NEt):

./check_nt -H notebook1 -v COUNTER -l '\PhysicalDisk(_total)\avg. disk
sec/write'

For the Service definition using the above check command would look
like: (only valid for NC_NEt)

check_command check_nt!COUNTER!-l '^PhysicalDisk^_total^avg. disk
sec/write' -w 2 -c 5

For all other check_nt hosts the syntex would be:

        check_command  check_nt!COUNTER!-l
'\\PhysicalDisk(_total)\\avg. disk sec/write' -w 2 -c 5

once again, most of this information should be availible in
documentation and in help files, I know NC_NEt has this information in
its "./check_nc_net --help=COUNTER" as well as in its documentaion.

Tony (Author of NC_NET)

  Hi Anthony,