Snmptrap with Nagios

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Tue Apr 17 09:23:10 CEST 2007

On 17/04/07 02:54 AM, Aritz.Lazkano at DaimlerChrysler.com wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have to monitor a "thing" that works with snmptraps, but I don`t know
> what I have to do.
> I have read something about check_dummy        How is it works?
> And then what i have to do, Create a service with passice_ check
> activate, and using the check_dummy command?

First you need a trap handler properly set up to return passive results.
I use SNMPTT (http://www.snmptt.org/) though you may want to look at
OpsView (http://www.opsview.org/) as is seems to do a great job at
simplifying the trap setup.

Then you set up the service as "volatile". People usually disable active
checks and use freshness checking to get the trap reset automatically
after some time. If you rather want the service to stay in a non-OK
state until someone change it you can make it active (It won't be
scheduled if volatile) and have someone force an active check to reset
the trap.

In either case it the check command should looks like:

check_command  check_dummy!0!Trap reset on $LONGDATETIME$

and check_dummy should run something like:

$USER1$/check_dummy $ARG1$ $ARG2$

Thomas