nagios checks

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Tue Apr 17 02:27:20 CEST 2007

> 1. Is there a way to make users that can login thru the web
> interface and check hosts but disable them from getting email
> notifications of statuses?

Yes. Set the contacts so they don't receive alerts using
service_notification_options. See the docs about contact configuration
here:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html#contact

> 2. I don't know why buyt nagios is checking services too fast
> for my taste, for example, ping service, I check the log and
> I get the first
>
> HOST ALERT: ipaq;DOWN;SOFT;1;CRITICAL - Host Unreachable (10.0.0.14) .
> .
> HOST ALERT: ipaq;DOWN;HARD;10;CRITICAL - Host Unreachable (10.0.0.14)
>
> SERVICE ALERT: ipaq;ping;CRITICAL;HARD;1;CRITICAL - Host Unreachable
> (10.0.0.14)
>
> But from the down soft 1 host  alert to the 10th it only goes
> by like 1 second... why are those 10 soft check going by that fast?

That's normal -- host checks will run serially as fast as they can. See
the docs on host checks here:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/checkscheduling.html#host_checks

> 3. Is there a way to disable hosts up down recovery
> notifications and just let the ping service alert me? Ive
> noticed that many times I get host downs and ups a lot but no
> ping service notifications.. seems my host check command is
> way to sensible... can this be mnodified?

If you don't want host check functionality, use a host check that will
never go down (check_dummy is a good plugin to use for this).