Service dependencies not disabling notifications

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Mon Apr 16 04:57:38 CEST 2007

On 15/04/07 10:38 PM, C. Bensend wrote:
> Hey folks,
>

> nagios -v is happy with this, it does not complain about any config
> errors.  However, if I kill NRPE on electron, I get an alert for
> each of the supposedly dependent services.  I am absolutely at a
> loss to see why.
>
> I have been through /nagios/docs/xodtemplate.html#servicedependency a
> gazillion times - what in the heck am I missing?  No matter what options I
> give for *_failure_criteria, I cannot get the dependency to NOT alert me
> when NRPE is down on electron.
>
> This is driving me nuts.  If someone could point out where I'm going
> wrong, I'd _really_ appreciate it.

Take a very close look at the output of "nagios -v". It happened to me
in the past that making a small error in the servicedependency
definitions would make Nagios discard them as "Lame service dependency"
without counting it in the warning/error count. This is logged at the
top and discarded before Nagios enters the objects verification step.

This is likely your problem. Maybe this should cause Nagios to die
instead of skipping part of the configuration....

Thomas