Having issue with process-service-perfdata running too long

Frost, Mark {PBG} mark.frost1 at pepsi.com
Wed Apr 11 21:08:15 CEST 2007

Hello.  I'm running Nagios 2.9 with Nagiosgraph 0.8.2.  This combination
has worked well for us for a while now.

I've found that recently the graphs (really the rrd files) have not been
being updated.  Looking further into the issue, I'm seeing the following
in our nagios.log file:

   Warning: Service performance data file processing command
'/usr/local/nagios/nagiosgraph/insert.pl' timed out after 5 seconds

Now if I run nagiosgraph's insert.pl by hand it takes almost 5 minutes
to complete, but it does run and does update all the rrd files.

My perdata file has grown rather large:

$ wc -l perfdata.log
 817880 perfdata.log

I see that my nagios.cfg file sets "perfdata_timeout=5" and that's
probably where the timeout comes from.  I also see that the
process-service-perfdata command is set to run every 30 seconds.

I like keeping the historical data, but I guess that would mean my
perdata file would grow infinitely large.  I don't see any option in
nagios.cfg that controls how much data stays in the perfdata.log file
(i.e. a retention interval for data contained therein).  Maybe I missed
it somewhere.

So it's starting to seem like I should trim this file somehow myself,
but I'm not sure how to go about that.

What's odd is that Nagios did this processing for me fine up until
yesterday.  I have not added any new hosts since yesterday.  I can't
imagine that this ran anywhere near 5 seconds prior to yesterday but it
still worked.  My config file is the same.  However, I did upgrade to
Nagios 2.9 yesterday.

How do others handle the size of this log file?

Thanks

Mark