Host/Service State Log Entries

Prigge Scott PriggeScottM at JohnDeere.com
Wed Apr 11 21:08:09 CEST 2007

It's not clear to me where you got your description from. This
description is taken from the Main Configuration File Options page, and
its pretty clear to me from that it is the option to control the
behavior I'm referring to:
*********************************
Initial States Logging Option

Format: 	log_initial_states=<0/1>
Example: 	log_initial_states=1

This variable determines whether or not Nagios will force all initial
host and service states to be logged, even if they result in an OK
state. Initial service and host states are normally only logged when
there is a problem on the first check. Enabling this option is useful if
you are using an application that scans the log file to determine
long-term state statistics for services and hosts.

    * 0 = Don't log initial states (default)
    * 1 = Log initial states
*********************************

It just doesn't seem to have any effect on my system. So the question
I'm struggling with is whether this is a purposeful behavior as Marc
describes? Is it a bug? Or is it some misconfiguration on my part? If
the log_initial_states=0 option is set on your system and you are not
seeing those log entries, then there is likely a misconfiguration on my
system. But even if that's the case, it doesn't correlate with Marc's
assertation that the inclusion of these entries is intentional and
irreversable. If Marc's assertation is incorrect, then there must be
some way to control the behavior - but what are the correct options? It
obviously isn't entirely controlled by this option, otherwise I could
control it.