make install-init

Phil Costelloe philc at foundation-it.com
Wed Apr 11 11:05:03 CEST 2007

Don Munyak wrote:
> Just tried with Nagios-2.9 ... same error :(
>
> -------------------
> /usr/bin/install -c -m 755 -d -o root -g root /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> install: root: Invalid argument
> *** Error code 67
>
> Stop in /tmp/nagios-2.9.
> -------------------
> So maybe I should elaborate further since this doesn't seem to be
> cut-n-dry.
>
> -The server is FreeBSD-6.2, fully patched and updated # uname -a
> FreeBSD web.pmg.local 6.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p2 #0: Tue
> Feb 27 22:41:06 UTC 2007

I don't know FreeBSD that well but I'd guess there's no group called
root and that's what's causing the error. Assuming that is the case, I
don't know how you'd fix it programmatically (there's probably an option
to configure that will do it) but you could manually change the line

INIT_OPTS=-o root -g root

in the Makefile to something more appropriate.

--
Phil Costelloe
Foundation IT, Hermitage Berkshire RG18 9SE