Files locking might be an issue for scalability?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Apr 10 18:25:59 CEST 2007

Passive checks are written to a named pipe that is read by nagios, not a
file. Again, file contention isn't going to be an issue afaik as your OS
will handle access to the named pipe. You do need to be worried about
sending results faster than nagios can check them though. Your OS will
buffer result submissions up to your max pipe size (typically 4096 bytes
I believe) and you can configure nagios to check external commands as
often as it possibly can (command_check_interval -1 I believe) but even
so, processing 10 results for 1000 host every 10 seconds (1000
results/second) is not trivial. Again, you'd probably be breaking new
ground and I'd be surprised if it worked with the current architecture.
I submit about 4000 passive results every 5 minutes (~13/second) and
feel like I have plenty of room to grow but not like that...

--
Marc