What do you not like about Nagios' notification/escalation system?

Richard Luys-Nagios User nagios at thebug.demon.nl
Fri Apr 6 14:30:05 CEST 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:26:59 +0200, Jim Avery <jim at jimavery.me.uk> wrote:

> On 27/03/07, Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de> wrote:
>
>> Hand over da phone ;-)
>
> That's just too simple!  Unfortunately some of our on-call engineers
> work from home, and live some miles apart so it's not that easy.

Looks to me he was just kidding, so don't take that comment to seriously...

> In fact what I do now is use a commercial email-sms gateway service
> and have set up a contact group there which contains the mobile number
> of the on-call engineer.  The service I use
> (http://www.initellisms.co.uk) has a really easy admin interface so I
> can just drag/drop the engineer names into the group as needed.
We have a bit of a different approach:
We use sms-client and we have standby-groups for different expertises (ie.
standby-windows, standby-unix, etc). So, we do not change anything in
Nagios, instead we make changes in the phonebook of the sms-client. All
standby-contacts are defined in that addressbook, with their number and a
3-character abbreviation of their names. We simply move the right name to
the right standby-category, and that person receives the sms-alerts.

What might be interesting to think about, is the possibility to create a
schedule, so that Nagios (or a third party tool) will modify the
configuration to have the alerts send to the person that has standby. In
other words: automate the process of managing standby phonenumbers.
Unfortunately, things like holidays, people calling in sick, etc will make
this probably less usefull...

Richard