Nagios dying

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Wed Apr 4 19:45:26 CEST 2007

A while ago I installed Nagios 2.4 on a somewhat minimal (don't
remember the specs, but old) OpenBSD 4.0 box. For the most part, it
appears to work fine- latency is a nice low .328 seconds on average,
with an average execution time of 4 seconds. The execution time might
be a bit high, but it doesn't appear to cause any issues. The only
problem is that, from time to time, Nagios will simply die. The logs
show normal operation right up to the time it dies, and there is no
real indication that it isn't running, except that the last check
times don't change and a look at the process list shows no Nagios
processes. Now, I have written a script that checks for this and
restarts Nagios if necessary, but it would of course be preferable to
stop it from dying in the first place. I realize that this isn't much
information to go on (more presumably available on specific request),
but I was wondering if anyone had seen similar behavior and could
give me an idea as to how to fix it? Thanks

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd