adaptive notifications

john lists at cloned.org.uk
Wed Apr 4 19:08:08 CEST 2007

Hi,
I'm looking for a way to do adaptive notifications on monitoring a single
service so that it notifies differently based on different criteria.

For example, monitoring a network port bandwidth usage, we want an alert
if between:

   0000 to 0559 - its 12Mbps+ for over 30 mins
   0600 to 2359 - its 5Mbps+ for over 3 hrs OR 8Mbps+ for over 30 mins

I can obviously do this by setting up 3 different services with the
appropriate variables and query the thing 3 times, but thats not a
particularly nice solution if you want to monitor hundreds of ports..

The other option I see is to have the checking script do the processing of
this, and then hand it off as critical or warning or whatever to nagios
which then alerts on first status change, but that seems to be part way to
building a replacement to nagios ;-)

Anyone have any suggestions on other ways to do what I want to do?

Cheers,

john