R: Installing problem

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Sep 29 17:35:27 CEST 2006

Marco Borsani wrote:
> Well,
>
> 1) On HP-UX nagios is running correctly, all the libraries were installed
> before install it.
>
> I am not expert on Linux so I don't understand when you write:
> "..but for RedHat you *should* get everything needed by the simple expedient
> of
>
> yum install gd-devel"
> What do you mean?

I mean you should type (as root)

yum install gd-devel

on your system to get the libraries you need to build the cgi-programs
that didn't execute properly.

> 2) I performed:
> su apache
> cd /usr/local/
> cd nagios
> cd sbin
> ./status.gci
> getcgivars(): Unsupported REQUEST_METHOD -> ''
>
> I'm guessing you're trying to execute the CGI from a command line.
> In order to do that, you need to set the REQUEST_METHOD environment
> variable to either "GET", "HEAD", or "POST".  When using the
> GET and HEAD methods, arguments can be passed to the CGI
> by setting the "QUERY_STRING" environment variable.  If you're
> using the POST method, data is read from standard input.  Also of
> note: if you've enabled authentication in the CGIs, you must set the
> "REMOTE_USER" environment variable to be the name of the user you're
> "authenticated" as.
>
> What does it mean?
>
> I am sorry, I am working with nagios from 2 year, but I meet these error for
> the first time now!

This is odd. Do you have SELinux turned on? If so, turn it off and try
accessing the page through the web again. Try Google or the RedHat user
forums for info on how to do that, cause I have absolutely no idea.

As a side note, I expected you to get errors several times when cd'ing
to the directory, as well as when trying to execute the cgi program.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se