Disable host checks

G Bit routed2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 01:56:17 CEST 2006

--- Tedman Eng <teng at dataway.com> wrote:

> First off, could you describe the troubleshooting steps that led you to
> conclude you needed to disable host checks?  That's a drastic measure to
> take and produces many undesirable side effects.

We were getting lot of false positives. A network glitch would generate a bunch of
PING alerts. I read that increasing the retries would force Nagios to stall when it is
retrying.

My thought was, we would get alerts from the service checks if the host is down, so
the ping checks may not be needed. I am new to Nagios. So forgive if my rationale is flawed.

> Without a host check command, there's nothing to reset the host state to
> "Host UP", so it will stay in the previous state recorded.

I think you are right on. That is quite likely the issue.

> If you cannot ping a host, but it is providing SOME sort of reachable
> network service, you should still define a host test of some sort (use
> check_tcp).  "Host Check" in Nagios is a synonym for "Reachability Test".

The hosts are pingable. So likely I will enable them.

Thanks.

http://mail.yahoo.com