Nagios Crashes on Downtime

David Schlecht dschlecht at doit.nv.gov
Mon Sep 25 23:16:07 CEST 2006

Hi list

I've been fighting this beast forever and really am pleading for
 some expertise.

I'm running Nagios on SUSe linux, 8.x, sles 9.3 and have been having
 this trouble since Nagios 1.1. Currently using v2.5. I'm currently
 using plugins v1.4.2, but the version doesn't seem to matter.

The OS also doesn't seem to matter. We're running on an old 486,
 a new 64-bit Intel blade, and a z/Os mainframe virtual host and
 it bombs the same on all.

Nagios crashes occassionally when entering or exiting from scheduled
 down time. I've seen the problem once or twice from other commands,
 but it seems the easiest to reproduce by scheduling downtime.

In all earlier versions, the crash wrote a segfault to the logs,
 but v2.5 just dies quietly.

The problem comes around once every 200-300 commands, but there
 isn't a magic number. It doesn't die on the same host name, either.
 We are currently showing around 11 critical items in the monitoring
 interface, and all the statuses and notifications are valid.

We are using only active checks. The performance numbers look suspicious
 (90% over one minute) but with performance data monitoring disabled
 in nagios.cfg, I don't place much confidence in these numbers.

Please help!

- David Schlecht (dschl)

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/nagios-users.34.0.html