check_dhcp doesn't work from server

rob.moss at uk.bnpparibas.com rob.moss at uk.bnpparibas.com
Thu Sep 21 13:02:30 CEST 2006

nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net wrote on 21/09/2006 11:19:39:

> I've put a dhcp server on the same host as the nagios server, and it's
> running but check_dhcp doesn't work from the server.
>
> /usr/nagios/libexec/check_dhcp -i eth1 -v
> DHCP socket: 3
> Hardware address: 00095be058c7
> DHCPDISCOVER to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> DHCPDISCOVER XID: 772340585 (0x2E08FB69)
> DHCDISCOVER ciaddr:  0.0.0.0
> DHCDISCOVER yiaddr:  0.0.0.0
> DHCDISCOVER siaddr:  0.0.0.0
> DHCDISCOVER giaddr:  0.0.0.0
> send_dhcp_packet result: 548
>
> No (more) data received
> Result=ERROR
> Total responses seen on the wire: 0
> Valid responses for this machine: 0
> DHCP problem: No DHCPOFFERs were received.

Have you done a tcpdump to ensure that the packet is actually hitting the
eth1 interface, and is not being routed by the kernel to the loopback
interface?

Something like this should prove useful:
tcpdump -lnSi eth1 proto dhcp

( I guessed the proto dhcp flag, it may be bootp or something else, read
man page)

I imagine that your dhcp daemon is bound to eth1 and not listening on the
loopback or eth0.. Run some tcpdumps on the interfaces to see that the
requests come in on the right interfaces and are responded to..

> but when I do it from another machine I get a successful result

These requests are definitely going out over the wire and hitting the DHCP
server's nic, and is being responded to.  It may be a different story
running the check_dhcp plugin on the DHCP Server.. see above.

Cheers
rob

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority