notifications to one group, with small delay to second group

Rejo Zenger nagios-users at subs.krikkit.nl
Thu Sep 21 11:44:31 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am currently running Nagios 2 (2.5-1~bpo.1 from backports) on a Debian
Sarge server. It has about 400 hosts and 1.500 services, with service
check latency averaging on 9.6 seconds. I am trying to update my setup,
but I am not sure if I have the best possible solution. What I need is
this:

If a service gets critical, a notification must be send out immediatelly
to the contactgroupmembers of "Group A". A second notification for that
critical service should be send to "Group B" 5 minutes after the service
has become critical. Group A, should receive a new notification every 30
minutes the problem persists. Group B should receive a new notification
every 15 minutes the problem persists. Additionally, Group B should only
be bothered during a specific time period.

In an attempt to accomplish this I came up with the following:

  define service {
  	[...]
	notification_interval	600
	}

  define serviceescalation {
	[...]
	first_notification	1
	last_notification	0
	notification_interval	1800
	contact_groups		group_a
	}

  define serviceescalation {
  	[...]
	first_notification	2
	last_notification	0
	notification_interval	900
	contact_groups		group_b
	}

The last requirement, Group B receiving notifications only at certain
times, can be met in several ways. One way would be by adding the option
escalation_period to the above serviceescalation and another way would
by limiting service_notification_period for each of the members of
Group B. Would there be performance-wise a preference for one of these
solutions?

The reason I am asking is that, basically, I only want notifications
every 15 minutes (*but* for the first notification one of the groups
should have a 5 minute delay). I currently have a notification interval
in the service definition of 1800. Would there, considering the amount
of services that are being checked, a potential performance problem?

--
Rejo Zenger <rejo at zenger.nl> https://rejo.zenger.nl