Another newbie question...

Neil B. Cohen nbc at aikisoft.com
Tue Sep 19 21:33:08 CEST 2006

I seem to have gotten Nagios configured and running on a single Linux
host. Now I want to try monitoring a second host on the same network
(I'm experimenting with a couple of machines at home) and I'm having
some problems. I've been looking through the documentation, but either
I'm looking in the wrong place or at the wrong docs.

I have a number of questions - scattered through the rest of this
message. Any help or pointers would be appreciated...

On the primary monitoring machine (referred to as 'localhost' or
'host1'), I added host definitions that include the 'remote' machine
(referred to as 'host2' in the rest of this message). So my file
hosts.cfg includes this:

define host{
        use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
template to use
        host_name               localhost
        alias                   localhost
        address                 127.0.0.1
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        check_period            24x7
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,r
        contact_groups  admins
        }

define host{
        use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
template to use
        host_name               host2.aikisoft.com
        alias                   host2
        address                 192.168.130.111
        max_check_attempts      10
        check_period            24x7
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,r
        contact_groups  admins
        }

Question #1:
   In the host definition for 'host2', should I include the
check-host-alive command like I have in host 1? Why, or why not - I'm
not sure I understand exactly what I'm defining here....

I set up an NSCA daemon process on host 1 to receive status information
from host 2. However, I'm not sure how to configure host2 itself. I have
Nagios installed there, and I have a basic configuration. I can start
nagios running, but I don't see how to get the NSCA client to run the
various tests and forward results to host 1.

Question #2:
   Does Nagios need to be running on host 2 or just the NSCA client?

Question #3:
   Is there documentation on NSCA? I found some minimal things, but not
enough for me to figure out what is really going on.

The way my system is running, host1 thinks it has 2 hosts to monitor,
and it is using PING to decide that both are alive - that's the good
news. But I would like to also report on CPU utilization, disk space etc
from host 2, and that's where I seem to be stuck.

Sorry if this is long and confusing - I'm definitely confused :)

Thanks in advance for any pointers you can give me. If I need to provide
other config info, I'll be happy to do that.

nbc