**ePN failed to compile/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_snmp_cisco_memutil: "Globalsymbol "$script" requires explicit package name at (eval 1) line 29

Stanley Hopcroft stanleyhopcroft at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 11:27:12 CEST 2006

Dear Rob,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On 15/09/06, rob.moss at uk.bnpparibas.com <rob.moss at uk.bnpparibas.com> wrote:
> nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net wrote on 15/09/2006 09:11:01:
>
> Thanks for picking that one up Stanley.. I had to leave work before the
> reply came in..
>
> The core of the problem is the original coder didn't enable Strict syntax
> checking, and probably didn't enable warnings.  Nagios's ePN plugin does
> the right thing and uses Strict syntax checking and gives warnings (this is
> standard perl practice)..
>
> You will need to contact the developer of the plugin to tidy up his code,
> or you can go in yourself and declare the variables yourself like I showed
> you, adding in the "my $var;" statement, or you could go the lazy route and
> run the script through an external perl interpereter without warnings or
> syntax checking, but losing lots of speed from launching an external
> process to compile + run the script every 5 minutes instead of running the
> internally compiled script..

Yep.

> There is apparently an ePN commandline util that you may be able to run
> which should work exactly the same as the embedded perl interpereter, you
> may need to check this in the docs or source..

contrib/new_mini_epn.c

On the Dag RPM for RHEL systems, it is built (Yay Dag) and installed in /usr/bin

[sh1517 at acisf011 sh1517]$ uname -a
Linux acisf011.portfolio.base 2.4.21-20.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Aug 18
20:31:57 EDT 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
[sh1517 at acisf011 sh1517]$ ls -l /usr/bin/new_mini_epn
-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root        16180 Jul 27 16:04 /usr/bin/new_mini_epn
[sh1517 at acisf011 sh1517]$

It is a bit hard to use but useful (it supports the Perl
Term::ReadLine module so there is command history).

Here is how I recommend using it

1 cd to your plugin directory or your dev directory

2 cp the p1.pl into this path

3 cp the new_mini_epn into this path

Fire it up.

[sh1517 at acisf011 switches]$ cp /usr/bin/p1.pl .
[sh1517 at acisf011 switches]$ cp /usr/bin/new_mini_epn .
[sh1517 at acisf011 switches]$ ./new_mini_epn
plugin command line: check_rootport
embedded perl plugin return code and output was: 3 & Must specify
non-null value for -H option. Outahere.

plugin command line: check_rootport -h
embedded perl plugin return code and output was: 0 & check_rootport
(nagios-plugins 1.4) 1.8

plugin command line: check_rootport -H 10.0.254.161
embedded perl plugin return code and output was: 0 & Ok. No topology
change: root port of 10.0.254.161 has not changed from that expected:
1. See <a href="http://nms/cgi-bin/display_spanning_tree">Current
spanning tree graph</a>.

plugin command line: check_rootport -H 10.0.254.171
embedded perl plugin return code and output was: 0 & Ok. No topology
change: root port of 10.0.254.171 has not changed from that expected:
50. See <a href="http://nms/cgi-bin/display_spanning_tree">Current
spanning tree graph</a>.

plugin command line: check_rootport -H 10.0.254.181
embedded perl plugin return code and output was: 3 & Switch
10.0.254.181 not found in %std_building_switch2root_port. Outahere.

plugin command line: check_rootport -H 10.0.254.191
embedded perl plugin return code and output was: 3 & Switch
10.0.254.191 not found in %std_building_switch2root_port. Outahere.
plugin command line:
That's all folks.
[sh1517 at acisf011 switches]$

HTH.