Bizarre Behavior: Nagios Runs of Redhat Linux, but not Fedora

Vern Kyle vkyle at acm.org
Fri Sep 15 01:47:36 CEST 2006

Ran into an interesting issue while running nagios.  I've been running
nagios successfully on both Redhat Enterprise Linux Versions 3 and 4,
and now am trying to migrate this to  Fedora Core 4.  I'm compiling
from source on each of the systems using RPMs (own spec files.)  Since
I'm using RPM to build, I can guarantee the configuration,
permissions, etc are the same on both systems.  However, when I try to
run this on a Fedora Core System I get the:

Whoops!
Error: Could not read object configuration data!
Here are some things you should check in order to resolve this error:
   1. Verify configuration options using the -v command-line option to
check for errors.

I know my config is legitimate, and when looking for errors, there is
nothing in the nagios logs nor the apache log files.

Does anyone know of anywhere else I should look in order to
troubleshoot this issue?  I've been able to duplicate this on both 2.4
and 2.5.  I'd be willing to share portions of my configurations as
well.

Thanks in advance.

Vern