NRPE :- (Return code of 126 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing)

Thomas Sluyter nagios at kilala.nl
Mon Sep 11 04:41:53 CEST 2006

On 11 Sep, 2006, at 3:18, LDB wrote:

> tom.welsh at bt.com wrote:
>> I am having a problem getting NRPE and checks to work with Nagios
>> "(Return code of 126 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing) "
>> define command{
>>         command_name    check_nrpe
>>         command_line    $USER1$ /check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c
>> $ARG1$
>>         }
>
> command_line    $USER1$ /check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$ -a
> $ARG2$

You are incorrect. To my knowledge check_nrpe has no option "-a". The
command definition posted by Tom is correct for his purposes.

> and in order to pass arguments you must have compiled with specific
> "--" flags.
Pardon? What do you mean by this? In neither of Tom's examples is he
trying to pass parameters to check_nrpe, except for the name of the
script in question.

TOM:
As odd as it may seem, we have always "solved" problems like these by
removing the service check definition from the server config.
Followed by a restart, followed by re-adding the service definition,
followed by yet another restart. It sounds like a crappy, windows-
like solution, but oddly enough it has worked for us in the past.
Can't say that I understand why though.

Cheers,

Thomkas