Read-only access to Nagios

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 00:33:11 CEST 2006

On 9/6/06, Peter Blajev <pblajev at ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> our department decided to give some kind of publicity for Nagios in the
> company. I'm doing a research to find out what can be done and any help or
> suggestions are highly appreciated.
>
> An ideal situation will be if we can give users a single URL that will allow
> read-only, no login/password access to Nagios graphs. By read-only I mean
> they won't be able to acknowledge problems, restart services and so on.
>
> If this can't be done then can we create accounts with restricted permissions
> and have them login to the main Nagios site?
>
> Anyone "been there, done that"? :-)

You can do this with a patch from Ton Voon and Altinity. It allows you
to set certain users who are allowed to issue commands, and others who
cannot.  See http://altinity.blogs.com/dotorg/2006/02/index.html for
details. It defaults to allowing users to make changes for
compatibility, but it's easy to reverse if you want to lock everyone
out and explicitly allow them.

George Orwell