Rsync server test

Robin-David Hammond%KB3IEN muaddib at databit7.com
Wed Sep 6 14:29:06 CEST 2006

I only ever use rsync in conjunction with sshd.

short of generating errors with the check_tcp you could nmap the port
(might that generate more/less noise).

or you could have a test that retreives a file from rsync, thereby
creating an access entry in the log, but no error.

A more advanced solution would be to run lsof on the monitored host, and
see if rsync is running, is not zombie, and is listening on TCP 873.

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Hari Sekhon wrote:

> Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 13:19:02 +0100
> From: Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon at googlemail.com>
> To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: [Nagios-users] Rsync server test
>
> I am testing an Rsync server by doing
>
> ./check_tcp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 873
>

> but I have noticed that this causes the Rsync server to spew the
> following into the logs:
>
> rsyncd[10422]: rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 74 bytes
> [receiver]: Broken pipe (32)
> rsyncd[10422]: rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code
> 12) at io.c(1121) [receiver=2.6.8]
>

> every single time a check is performed. This is obviously because of the
> tcp connection and then abrupt disconnection. I'd really like to get rid
> of all this noise from the logs.
>
> Is there a better way of doing this? Does anybody else monitor a Rsync
> server with nagios and if so how?
>

> Hari Sekhon

Robin-David Hammond     KB3IEN
+1 347 350 34 00