defining domain for check_http for each host

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Sun Sep 3 16:21:03 CEST 2006

> Yeah, I follow you, but the issue is that I'm the user, and I
> care for the websites that I know are consistent with each
> machine. If that site goes down, then so did the machine..
> That's my reason behind it. Thanks for your help though, all
> of you, I don't want to seem as if I'm not appreciative. I
> was thinking, however, in the address of the host definition
> I just add the domain (www.yahoo.com) that path should
> resolve to the same machine every time. I'm not sure if this
> is still the solution I seek. The solution I really am
> seeking is to add another variable to the host definition.
> That would be completely, absolutely, ideal. It will also
> allow me to add other information to the hosts in the future.
> Any ideas as to how to add custom directives to the host
> definition block?

What you're trying to do just isn't possible with the current Nagios
version. However, it seems it would only be slightly less cumbersome, if
it all, to have a service definition template set up so that when a new
host is set up, you'd just have to add the following:

define service {
	host_name		new_host
	check_command	check_virtual_host!www.yahoo.com
}

Sure, it's not a one-liner, but it's not far from it.