Advanced permissions/user properties

Tobias Klausmann klausman at schwarzvogel.de
Tue Oct 31 10:56:36 CET 2006

Hi!

I've got a problem that I don't how to solve best in Nagios. I
think other people have run into the same problem (I know that
someone has run into a /similar/ problem).

I'm running 2.5 on a mid-sized installations (~300 hosts, ~2500
services). Thing is, our projects/(host|service)groups vary
wildly in who is responsible for them. Unfortunately, all these
projects are also heavily intertwined in their dependencies.

Say we have a web mail project A. This consists of several
web servers, databases and the like. It is heavily dependent on
the LDAP project B and the mail server project C. While B and C
have the same group of admins, project A is managed by an
entirely different group of people.

As such, we have configured Nagios that the group that is
responsible for project can only see the machines of project A and
the "B-and-C-people" can only see B and C.

Everything is peachy.

Except. Sometimes, project A may look like it's broken (pages
time out etc). But in reality, there's a spam attack and the
project B (the LDAP infrastructure) is so slow it simply grinds
to a halt. In this case it would obviously be nice if the people
from project A could see that project B is slow. Yet they should
not be able to change the notification options/acknowledgements
etc etc of projects B or C.

The altinity people have created a patch for the "view some,
change none" scenario[0]. Unfortunately, what I'd need is a
mechanism for the "view some, change a few" scenario I outlined
above.

How do others deal with this kind of problem? I'm sure we're not
the only ones who've run into it.

As of currently, our best guess would be to create
pseudo-accounts (like john.foo and john.foo-admin) and hack the
CGI(s) to only allow the commands from -admin accounts which are
in the notification list (with notification options set to "n").
We already do this to let people see machines they don't
mailed/paged/called about.

Regards,
Tobias

[0] http://altinity.blogs.com/dotorg/2006/02/a_view_some_cha.html