Views on mailinglist usage (Was: Net-SNMP and SNMP4Nagios)

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Fri Oct 27 01:44:04 CEST 2006

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> Max H. wrote:

> > lists automatically being good when it comes to the reply-tos. When you
> > click a reply all on this, you get the original sender, you, and the
> > list instead of just the list. If you only click reply, you get just the
> > sender.
>
> This is actually the preferred way of sending to mailinglists where
> non-subscribers are allowed to post, because the original poster would
> otherwise be cut out of the loop. As there's no way of telling if a
> poster *is* on this list (no, I don't know if it can be posted to
> without subscribing, and I can't be bothered with checking), the only
> sane way to make sure the original poster and everyone participating in
> a thread is to reply to all and hope that people on the list have taken
> the 3 minutes it takes to set up filters to delete duplicate messages
> *hint, hint*.

Anyone asking a question on a mailinglist should expect an answer on that
list. If they don't care to read the list then it is their loss. It is
that simple. No one should be bothered to send duplicates to possible
non-subscribers. They have deliberatly chosen not to read the
mailinglist.

Frankly everyone posting a question and telling they are not reading the
list is showing a complete disregard for everyone on that list that should
never be rewarded. (Why would anyone put in work for someone clearly
showing that they are not willing to put in some work of their own.)

And duplicate filtering always gets it wrong. It always get the non
mailinglist message first. But the mailinglist one is the one that gets
organised properly with procmail. You can not trust the subject line to
know wether or not it is a mailinglist message.

Hugo.

--
	hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org	http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/