External Commands segfault

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Oct 25 17:34:32 CEST 2006

David Schlecht wrote:
> Hi Andreas
>

> Thanks for your attention. I didn't get a core dump but doing a
>  stack trace on the hanging process I get:
>

> #0  0x002de7a2 in _dl_sysinfo_int80 () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
>
> #1  0x003b4eb3 in __open_nocancel () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
>
> #2  0x0035854d in _IO_new_file_fopen () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
>
> #3  0x0034f0c9 in __fopen_internal () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
>
> #4  0x0034f11d in fopen@@GLIBC_2.1 () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
>
> #5  0x0804b6e0 in ?? ()
>
> #6  0x08071f20 in stdin ()
>
> #7  0x080613af in _IO_stdin_used ()
>
> #8  0xbfff6680 in ?? ()
>
> #9  0x080693da in _IO_stdin_used ()
>
> #10 0x0000fd00 in ?? ()
>
> #11 0x00000000 in ?? ()
>

> I tried repeatedly to generate a core dump but they aren't as common
>  as this -- however, this looks like it's the same think. What do
>  you think?

Not much from this output, I'm afraid. You will have to re-compile
nagios and make sure that it isn't installed as a stripped binary. The
trace output above shows only function names from the standard C library
and the dynamic link loader, which doesn't help in the slightest.

I think the stripping is done when doing "make install", so skip that
step and just do "cp base/nagios /path/to/your/nagios" and you should be
fine. The gdb/bt output of such a process hanging should provide a much
more verbose output.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se