alerts

Brian Loe knobdy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 16:30:16 CEST 2006

On 10/21/06, Az <az at whoever.org> wrote:

> 1. *All* packets "fail" on the first check (be it from none arriving or
> taking too long).
> 2. *Some* packets "fail" on the first and subsequent check.

Close, I think
 Problem1: Pings take too long (longer than the configured threshold)
and/or 1 of 3 pings is dropped.
Action1: Wait for second check, if result is same, alert.

Problem2: All pings fail.
Action2: Alert.

In other words, pings taking too long or one or two failures might
mean the network between Nagios and device is congested or having
issues not relating directly with that device. This is important to
know but it might also clear up by next check. If all pings fail
completely, that's a good indication the device has gone down and I
want to be alerted immediately to that.

This problem wouldn't even be an issue if our network wasn't
so...well, whatever. Fixing that will take some time though.

> The only two ways I can think of doing this (and I'm sure there'll be
> others) are:

Do these solutions still hold true or am I possibly missing something
about the syntax of the checks - or maybe the configuration of
services.cfg?