1.3 -> 2.5 upgrade docs?

Xueshan Feng sfeng at stanford.edu
Fri Oct 20 00:38:09 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 16:56 -0400, Tom Trelvik wrote:
> So I originally installed Nagios via apt on a Debian stable system.  I
> only later realized that Nagios was on version 1.3 in apt and 2.5 on
> the web site.  When Debian stable gets updated to Etch this December,
> apt will want to upgrade to 2.5.
>
> I can see the 2.x docs have a changelog page, but I'm not sure which
> of those new features and other changes could possibly be a concern
> for someone upgrading from an older version.  Are there any upgrade
> docs that can give me an idea what kind of changes I may need to make
> to keep my installation working properly?

I have done the migration and here are some highlights:

1. Go through your nagios.cfg file - file locations are changed so you
want to make sure the diretory pathes match the new locations

2. If you have to use your old nagios apache configuration, check to
make sure the cgi-bin, docroot, etc point to nagios2 installation
location.

3. Micros changes: You definitely need to change commands.cfg (or
whatever file you use to define command objects) and local plugins that
use micros. For the obvious ones:
OUPTUT changed to either HOSTOUTPUT or SERVICEOUTPUT
SATETYPE changed to either HOSTSATETYPE or SERCIESATETYPE
PERFDATD to either HOSTPERFDATA or SERVICEPERFDATA
DATETIME is gone and there are SHORTDATETIME, LONGDATETIME to etc.

If you don't change them, you get notifiations that miss details.

4. In host definition file (host.cfg), if you defined "contact_groups"
in "define hostgroup" section, instead of in each "define host" section,
you need to move "contact_groups" to "define host" section. You might
want to have a script to parse "contact_groups" line and "members" line
in hostgroup section, and add "contact_groups" to each of the member's
own host definition.  I can send you my script if you are interested
(you have to change it to use it in your setup though).

5. Make sure when you move to a new machine, copy your archives to keep
historical data.

Other than that, you can pretty use your other configurations as is.

Xueshan