Antwort: How to not send out first service notifications?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Oct 19 13:36:09 CEST 2006

Marc Haber wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 11:10:56AM +0200, srunschke at abit.de wrote:
>> nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net schrieb am 19.10.2006 11:04:19:
>>> I am monitoring some hosts on the Internet for informational reasons.
>>> Since these hosts quite frequently have failed services, I'd like my
>>> Nagios to refrain from notifying me if a service is down at the first
>>> notification. Subsequent notifications, however, should be sent out.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to do this any easier than having no notifications set
>>> in the service definition and have a service escalation having the
>>> list of contacts that used to be in the service definition?
>> If you always only want the 2nd notification, then your approach sounds
>> wrong. You shouldn't suppress the first notification always, but instead
>> maybe raise the number of consecutive failed checks until you throw
>> a hard state, so you do not get too many false warnings.
>
> Actually, it is fine (and desired) for the service to show up in the
> web interface as DOWN, and that the history is correctly written.

They still will, as availability times are calculated from the first
failed check, and the GUI shows things in the state they are at the
moment of displaying it, regardless of it being a soft or hard state.
Only notification behaviour is modified if you fiddle with the
max_check_attempts and retry_check_interval variables.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se