checking a counter on a website

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Oct 19 13:25:16 CEST 2006

Doug Veldhuisen wrote:

> Most Linux distros, I am aware anyway, support share memory segments.  the
> How about a mechanism, supported by Nagios of course, where we could
> save some variables to a shared memory segment.  Saving and retrieving
> should be pretty quick.

Bad idea since Nagios also runs on HPUX, Irix, Solaris, Sunos, *BSD and
a number of other systems. Handling the differences between how shared
memory segments are implemented or the lack of such a mechanism among
all the different systems would be maintenance nightmare both for Nagios
and the plugins.

That aside, most of the plugins that would actually require this feature
at the moment are written in perl, shell or python, where low-level
things like memory mapping isn't always supported and never exactly
straight-forward.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se