monitoring for IO in Nagios

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Oct 17 10:50:19 CEST 2006

Alexander Harvey wrote:
> That doesn't look like a Solaris script to me but as far as your coding is
> concerned, my thoughts are

[ excellent and non-disputed points removed ]

> (iv) for security you ought to use full paths to all of your binaries:
> i.e.
> /usr/bin/echo
> instead of
> echo

"echo" is a built-in feature of pretty much all shells, so just using
plain 'echo' is a perfectly viable and more performance friendly option.

A better solution, for security's sake, is to force the $PATH to a safe
value at the beginning of the script and not bother with full paths.

As a last note, "echo" is required to exist on the root partition, which
places it in /bin on all systems I've ever come across.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se