Service checks when host is down

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Oct 16 11:41:02 CEST 2006

Az wrote:
> Hari Sekhon wrote:
>> Indeed, that would be ok too, since then you can disable the host
>> check and rely entirely on service checks so you get all the service
>> checks.
>>
>> Almost as good. Of course it won't say host down, but it will say ping
>> failed so you can tell from that.
>>
>> Another down side is that it will pollute your web interface with
>> loads of trivial services, whereas it nice at the moment when all you
>> see is the intended service.
>>
>> It would kind of spoil the web interface in my opinion.
>>
>> I think I will just wait for this to be done at the developer side, so
>> that it is part of the normal configuration options.
> You may also find that it will blow out your service check execution
> times if you use a ping (service) check of, say, 5 packets @ 1 second
> apart. It doesnt sound like much but if you have a large number of hosts
> it *might* cause you problems.

I can most definitely say that it won't. A typical ICMP packet is 64
bytes, all headers included. If you're thinking about load issues, 99%
of the time check_icmp, /bin/ping and other ping-like programs use are
spent waiting for data from the host being pinged. 0.8% of the time is
spent by the system setting up the stack and creating memory pages for
the program, and 0.2% is spent sending packets, calculating
response-times and things like that. I can imagine that this will cause
problems if you're monitoring tens of thousands of hosts, but if you do
that without a robust clustering solution or some insanely beefy
hardware and network line you'll be toast anyways.

check_http, or any other plugin that generally fetches >1KiB of data,
possibly decrypts it, and parses a bit of text to be able to return a
result are easily a hundred times heavier on both systemload and network
traffic than ping checks.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se