custom fields

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Oct 15 23:13:58 CEST 2006

Az wrote:
> Kyle Vorster wrote:
> > What i am trying to do is give a more detailed email
> notification to my
> > clients.
> You can define your notification commands
> (http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html#command) with

> whatever you want in them using the relevant macros

I think the idea was to get a more detailed description on a
*per-service* basis.  This was our problem, also.

The way I managed to get around it was to create a new program -
'buster'.

This has two parts - one, a web frontend that stores messages in a mysql
database, and two, an extraction utility that, when given hostname and
servicename, will spit out a message deduced from the database.  This
utility is embedded in the notify command.

The web frontend unfortunately doesnt have any extra security in it, so
anyone can edit any of the match templates.  Also, the extracted
messages are fixed text and dont have embedded replaceable symbols;  but
they can match on host, hstgroup, servicename, status, and using
wildcards.

I havent posted to Nagiosexchange because it would require a bit more
work to be generic enough for everyone else to use it easily; however if
youre perl-savvy email me and you can have a copy.

The name 'buster' comes from 'ghostbuster', since it is supposed to use
this extra text to tell the night ops who they're gonna call...

Steve

--
Steve Shipway
ITSS, University of Auckland