User-defined host/service attributes

Marc Haber mh+nagios-users at zugschlus.de
Sat Oct 14 17:29:54 CEST 2006

Hi,

recently, I was confused by my Nagios reporting a host DOWN event
while the host was alive and kicking. After debugging for a while, I
found out that the host had changed IP addresses and nagios was, of
course, still checking the old address since it was configured to
check the IP address.

To catch such error situations earlier, I'd now like to have Nagios
check that the host name indeed still points to the IP address we're
actually checking.

This is easy enough:

define service {
        use                             my-service
        hostgroup_name                  hostnameip
        service_description             my_hostnameip
        check_command                   check_hostnameip
}

define command {
        command_name check_hostnameip
        command_line $USER1$/check_dns --hostname=$HOSTNAME$ --expected-address=$HOSTADDRESS$
}

This, however, means that one has to have the DNS name of the host in
the host_name field:

define host {
        use                     my-linux-host
        host_name               ipdesc.iface.host.loc.mydomain.example
        hostgroups              defaultping, snmp-w68, ssh, hostnameip
        alias                   foo server running bar and baz services, colocated in blu
        address                 10.1.1.47
        parents                 localhost
}

This is a bit clumsy since our host names are complicated and lengthy.

I'd like to have something like

define command {
        command_name check_hostnameip
        command_line $USER1$/check_dns --hostname=$CUSTOMATTR$ --expected-address=$HOSTADDRESS$
}

define host {
        use                     my-linux-host
	host_name		host.mydomain.example
        custom_attribute        ipdesc.iface.host.loc.mydomain.example
        hostgroups              defaultping, snmp-w68, ssh, hostnameip
        alias                   foo server running bar and baz services, colocated in blu
        address                 10.1.1.47
        parents                 localhost
}

If this possible in Nagios2? If not, are there other ideas how to
solve this?

Greetings
Marc