check_mailq

Frank Sfalanga fsfalanga at vrcoffl.com
Sun Oct 8 19:12:15 CEST 2006

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Oct 2006, Frank Sfalanga wrote:
>
>> I've installed and am configuring Nagios v1.3 on Ubuntu server.  I used
>> "apt-get install nagios" and the majority of setup was done for me.  I
>> have a qmail server and I'm trying to get the check_mailq plugin to
>> work.  So far all I'm getting is:
>>
>> ERROR: is not executable by (uid 109:gid(109 109))
>>
>> #./check_mailq -h reveals this:
>>
>>  This plugin uses the system mailq command (sendmail) or qmail-stat
>> (qmail) to look at the queues. Mailq can usually only be accessed by
>> root or a TrustedUser. You will have to set appropriate permissions for
>> the plugin to work.
>>
>> I've tried setting /usr/sbin/sendmail SUID
>> I've tried setting /usr/lib/nagios/pluggins/check_mailq SUID
>>
>> The nagios process is running as user "nagios"
>>
>> Should I set "nagios" as a TrustedUser?  Does this mean the qmail server
>> needs a TrustedUser added (nagios I assume)?  Please help.
>
> Oddly enough the answer is in fact in your own email. Setting thing SUID
> without carefull consideration is not good and will not quite work the way
> you think.
>
> You need to trust your nagios user to check the queues. Assuming that that
> nagios user has UID 109 and GID 109.
>
> Hugo.

Hugo, thank you very much for your response.

I only changed them to SUID for testing purposes and then changed them
back immediately.  Yes SUID == BAD, agreed.

I might not have been clear.  The nagios process is running on a
separate dedicated box which I'm using (hopefully) to monitor the queue
on my /other/ qmail server.

Am I not understanding correctly?  I thought that was the purpose of the
check_mailq plugin, no?  Maybe I need more basic guidance?