check_mailq

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sat Oct 7 15:23:57 CEST 2006

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006, Frank Sfalanga wrote:

> I've installed and am configuring Nagios v1.3 on Ubuntu server.  I used
> "apt-get install nagios" and the majority of setup was done for me.  I
> have a qmail server and I'm trying to get the check_mailq plugin to
> work.  So far all I'm getting is:
>
> ERROR: is not executable by (uid 109:gid(109 109))
>
> #./check_mailq -h reveals this:
>
>  This plugin uses the system mailq command (sendmail) or qmail-stat
> (qmail) to look at the queues. Mailq can usually only be accessed by
> root or a TrustedUser. You will have to set appropriate permissions for
> the plugin to work.
>
> I've tried setting /usr/sbin/sendmail SUID
> I've tried setting /usr/lib/nagios/pluggins/check_mailq SUID
>
> The nagios process is running as user "nagios"
>
> Should I set "nagios" as a TrustedUser?  Does this mean the qmail server
> needs a TrustedUser added (nagios I assume)?  Please help.

Oddly enough the answer is in fact in your own email. Setting thing SUID
without carefull consideration is not good and will not quite work the way
you think.

You need to trust your nagios user to check the queues. Assuming that that
nagios user has UID 109 and GID 109.

Hugo.

--
	hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org	http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/