a new check_bgp plugin

Pete Siemsen siemsen at UCAR.EDU
Thu Oct 5 18:05:47 CEST 2006

I enhanced the check_bgp.pl plugin provided by Indiana University
(see the "IU Nagios Plugins" project at SourceForge).  The old
check_bgp.pl plugin checks that BGP sessions on a router are up.  The
attached check_bgp_new.pl plugin does the same thing, and is upward-
compatible with the old check_bgp.pl.  The new plugin has a new
optional feature that works only on Juniper routers.  For each BGP
session on a Juniper router, the new plugin can check that the number
of active or received prefixes falls between given minimum and
maximum values.

We use check_bgp_new at our site to make Nagios notify us when our
routing with the outside world gets "funny", like when one ISP
suddenly becomes less preferred than another.

-- Pete