yum install nagios

Ugo Bellavance ugob at camo-route.com
Wed Oct 4 18:21:36 CEST 2006

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Ugo Bellavance wrote:
>
>> Timothy Lane wrote:
>>
>> To all: BTW, is it the case also with the source install?
>>

>> If yes, would it be possible to fix it so that one can install, then
>> start the service and have a working config doing only local checks?
>
> There is no such thing as a working config to be defined that way. So I
> would not recommend to ship anything that 'works' out of the box. Because
> it will only encourage people to send similar signs of having failed to
> read the fine manual.

I think that putting in a working config that only does a host check
using a ping on localhost would be a good start.  Of course, it is
useless for the user, so he'll have to look at the doc to do more tests.

The default config is already set up to do some tests on localhost.

IIRC, the problem with the config is duplicate check_command
definitions...  Maybe just get rid of those could help... it is rather
puzzling at first when you tumble on such an unexpected error.

I think that it is good not to prepare the config for the user, but at
least, maybe prepare the config so that when the user installs and
starts it, it starts, and maybe just send an error message like (Right
now we're only monitoring your local host, please the doc (URL) to
define more checks).