installation issues

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Oct 4 09:32:34 CEST 2006

Timothy Lane wrote:
> Okay, I have went word for word on the installation of Nagios, but I still
> am getting errors like no Lock File and numerous others.

Not enough info. Cut 'n paste the exact error messages you get, and
we'll be able to help you.

> My first question is, how much stuff do I need to manually edit to get this
> to work??

Quite a bit, unfortunately, which is why companies (op5 included) make
such booming businesses on packaging and selling Nagios with
installation/configuration help and nice GUI's for configuring it.

>  Do I have manually create all these extra files?  Alls I want is
> something to monitor my network traffic that looks nice.

You don't have to create the lockfiles. You *do* have to create the
directory the lockfiles should reside in.

> When I do a make install-config command and it makes the sample config
> files, are those not good enough for my configuration?

No, ofcourse they aren't. You need to input information about your
network (IP-addresses etc) that a default configuration can never even
begin to guess at. Even trying to ship a *useful* configuration with
Nagios is simply doomed to fail. You might have some luck using one of
the numerous nmap-to-config scripts that float around the internet
though. Check www.nagiosexchange.org for such things.

>  Do I need to
> committ
> lines out to make this work.  This Nagios programs looks REALLY nice and I
> just want it to work, seems like a lot of work.

You possibly have to comment (I guess that's what you meant) lines out
to make it work. Without error messages I can't really say. If you're
having more trouble than you think it's worth, you might want to check
http://www.nagios.org/support/commercial/ to find a consultant near you
that can help you get it up and running.

<shameless plug>
Email me off-list if you can't find a consultant suitable for you and
I'll ask one of our sales-people to contact you for a demo and stuff.
</shameless plug>

> The first thing that always went wrong was the Lock file, so I just created
> an emply file call nagios.lock and that error went away.

Wrong thing to do. Lockfiles are *always* created by the program using
them, so they can make sure another instance of the program won't run at
the same time. Two nagios instances running with the same config on the
same machine gives, to put it mildly, odd results.

>  But when I try to
> start the service, its just says to check the configuration.  Is there a
> LOG
> to see what I am missing, so I know how to fix it?

More info needed. I'm 100% certain it doesn't say "check the
configuration", because that string isn't anywhere in the Nagios
source-code. Please cut 'n paste the exact error message you get if you
want help. It's impossible to give it without knowing what's going wrong
and what actions you've taken to try and fix it.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se