NCSA not working, garbage when telnettting

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 28 20:11:51 CET 2006

I'm trying to implement ncsa which seems simple enough... except it's
not working.

I have made the passwords for both the client and server the same. The
ports are default. I am using the client as follows

check_test | send_nsca -H server -c /etc/nagios/send_nsca.cfg
0 data packet(s) sent to host successfully.

At first I thought it might be passwords so I've tried 3 different ones
on both sides, matched them exactly and eventually reduced then to 8
chars to be safe.

Then I put encryption=0 on both sides to try to see if even this would
work, but it didn't, same result.

So I netcatted the port on the server and got the following junk back:

# nc server 5667
¶DEwu
b àä0Ø»£ß¿á àSE±šÌCø¥[aà¥åWZb#:FS÷ñÁÙû¢- at SÇ
ffèx
ÍÏ('2LayŸt{—f=qaßž¢3e¯•qµ×
O(RPzQœÜË<PFÔ·„Ecã¼—Il-º!Ê’>Oáf¡El†k^[[?1;2c

# telnet server 5667
Trying 192.168.1.89...
Connected to server.mydomain.com
Escape character is '^]'.
3Æòp¨›ðK!γˆg?¶ÈIŸ5tf%U§¬#ZAW
4XT,DKNþÖfÊ._idÓω)w6MÑx¥ò¬ýƒý¯EIþXHÔl®ë6ÝK
ApÊHç–¹y;«%8.&6ÞlÝÄDz1ugRx_Q_`çÙ#ÄEl†÷
]^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

What on earth is going on with NSCA?

I thought encryption=0 would send cleartext?

Any ideas?

Thanks

-h

--