Snmp - How do you use yours?

Thomas Sluyter nagios at kilala.nl
Tue Nov 28 19:16:42 CET 2006

On 28 Nov, 2006, at 18:01, frank wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Thomas Sluyter wrote:
>
>> Actually, why don't you check through the following list to see if
>> you company already _has_ a subtree of its own? -> http://
>> www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers
>
> Dude, chill.

Yea, sorry... Reading it back now it came over rather "cold", instead
of the "helpful" that I meant it to be. The "why don't you go..." was
meant as a suggestion and not as the stereotype sneer. My apologies...

>> Also, your statement about the "exec" command is false. The results
>> from the script will not fall under 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.8 per default.
>
> extTable OBJECT-TYPE
>     SYNTAX	SEQUENCE OF ExtEntry
>     MAX-ACCESS	not-accessible
>     STATUS	current
>     DESCRIPTION
> 	"A table of extensible commands returning output and
> 	 result codes.  These commands are configured via the
> 	 agent's snmpd.conf file."
>     ::= { ucdavis 8 }
>
> It's _everyone's_ subtree. As the MIB says, it's defined in the
> agent's own snmpd.conf file so it belongs to whoever is writing
> that file! Perhaps UCD is writing _your_ config files, I write my own.

Pwned! You've got me there!  Ouch...

Seriously, I was actually confused by that part of the documentation
when I read it first because it never explicitly seem to say: go
ahead and use this OID range. So thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Cheers!

Thomas