Check process

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Nov 28 14:45:00 CET 2006

[chop]

> Is there a way I can check a proc on another machine ??

NRPE, check_by_ssh and check_snmp are all ways to actively check
external machines. NRPE requires a daemon running on the destination
machine along with the plugins you want to use. Check_by_ssh requires
you to configure authorized_keys access (passwordless access) from your
source machine to the destination as well as the plugins you want to use
and check_snmp requires a properly configured snmpd running on the
target machine and knowledge of the OID's to check. I generally use NRPE
if I'm checking a lot of things on a host and check_by_ssh if only a
few.

You can also use NSCA/send_nsca in a script that runs check_procs and
sends the results to nagios via a cron job on your target machine back
to your other nagios machine.

In this particular case, I would just use check_ntp as you mentioned. If
you don't want to check offset at this point, just set high values. Any
response would then indicate that ntp is running on the target host.

--
Marc