Check process

John Longland jlongland at grintek.com
Tue Nov 28 13:23:58 CET 2006

Hi all !!!

Just been looking at the plugins in my ../libexec-DIR. ( I have Nagios 2.4
runing )

I found something to work with , but it looks like "the-long-way"
Would like to put my problem together with a possible solution.
Would like to know if there is a better way.

Problem:

I have a distributed Nagios system : One master; one slave.
The master nagios is also my master time-server
The slave-nagios is also my slave-time-server.
I need to check the tnp-procs on both the servers.

Possible solution:
I see that there is a check_procs  plugin. This however, only checks
processes on the local machine. I can check for the ntp proc:
( On the master ) : check_procs -a ntpd
With this command I cannot check if ntp is running on my slave-nagios.
To do this, I'd have to define a new service-check on the main nagios,
accepting
info from the slave-nagios about the ntpd-service running there.

This seems very cumbersome.

I also see that there is a check_ntp, but this checks clock accuracies etc
which
I don't want at this stage. I just need to know if the ntpd is running.

Is there a way I can check a proc on another machine ??

Thanks !
JOhn