Snmp - How do you use yours?

Thomas Slutyer nagios at kilala.nl
Tue Nov 28 11:03:58 CET 2006

On 28 Nov, 2006, at 10:46, Hari Sekhon wrote:

> I've decided to add snmp monitoring to my nagios setup. I'd like to
> know what you guys and gals are monitoring using snmp out there.
We use SNMP mostly for monitoring our hardware: temperatures, hardware
failures (harddisk, mobo, fans), stuff like that. It's been a bitch
trying to find the proper OIDs for these items as they usually differ
per model (not only per manufacturer, but per model as well!).

That's the most useful thing we're doing with it right now.

> Can I extend it to export an OID for some test that runs locally on
> the system?
Yes, you can attach Nagios plugins and other scripts to custom OIDs. In
order to do it perfectly you'll need to register your own SNMP subtree
though.

I've written a plugin for Nagios that can process the output stored in
the custom OIDs. See here ->
http://www.kilala.nl/Sysadmin/retrieve_custom_snmp.php

That page also describes how to go about getting your own SNMP subtree.

Cheers!

Thomas