Nagios 2.5 make grievance on AIX 4.3

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Mon Nov 27 18:16:31 CET 2006

Dear Nagios Users,

I am forced to build Nagios for a legacy AIX box.
Unfortunately my AIX knowledge is pretty restricted.
I even don't know the package manager commands thereon to check
for installed revisions
of needed stuff like compiler, devel utilities and libs such as
OpenSSL.
I also lack root access there.
So I have to stick with some basic Unix Esperanto.

I downloaded the Nagios 2.5 source tarball,
unpacked it into a staging dir and ran configure and make like
below.

Unfortunately does the "make all" abort with some strange errors
(like from some helloworld object file).

However, the make all produced some PPC RISC binaries, as well as
the nagios daemon itself.

When I only execute the -h invocation everything looks ok.
But when I run the -v on my previous nagios.cfg I get a horrible
dump that looks like a call stack.
Could this be caused by my --enable-DEBUGALL configure flag?
If it is merely there for Nagios developers then I didn't mean to
have it.
I simply wished that I occassionally could toggle switch extended
logging of nagios.log
to better track errors of plug-ins and the like, should the need
arrive.

Would you suggest that I reconfigured without the
--enable-DEBUGALL?

Even if, would my nagios build at the stage where make bailed out
yet be fit for a make install?

Below some build history...

$ uname -srv
AIX 3 4

$ alias make=/usr/local/bin/make && make -v
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.2.0
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99,
2000
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <bug-make at gnu.org>.

$ gcc -v
Reading specs from
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.2.0/2.95.3/specs
gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)

$ CC=gcc MAKE=/usr/local/bin/make ./configure
--prefix=/opt/sw/nagios \
--enable-DEBUGALL --enable-nanosleep \
--with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-group=nagios \
--with-nagios-command-user=nagios
--with-nagios-command-group=nagcmd \
--with-htmlurl=/ --with-cgiurl=/nagios/cgi \
--with-gd-lib=/usr/local/lib --with-gd-inc=/usr/local/include
2>&1 \
|tee ../nagios_configure.log

$ tail -25 ../nagios_configure.log

*** Configuration summary for nagios 2.5 07-13-2006 ***:

 General Options:
 -------------------------
        Nagios executable:  nagios
        Nagios user/group:  nagios,nagios
       Command user/group:  nagios,nagios
            Embedded Perl:  no
             Event Broker:  yes
        Install ${prefix}:  /opt/sw/nagios
                Lock file:  ${prefix}/var/nagios.lock
           Init directory:  /etc/rc.d
                  Host OS:  aix4.3.3.0

 Web Interface Options:
 ------------------------
                 HTML URL:  http://localhost/nagios/
                  CGI URL:  http://localhost/nagios/cgi/
 Traceroute (used by WAP):  /usr/bin/traceroute

Review the options above for accuracy.  If they look okay,
type 'make all' to compile the main program and CGIs.

$ make all 2>&1|tee ../nagios_make_all.log

$ tail -20 ../nagios_make_all.log
make[1]: Entering directory
`/opt/sw/nagios/build/nagios-2.5/html'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/sw/nagios/build/nagios-2.5/html'
cd ./module && /usr/local/bin/make
make[1]: Entering directory
`/opt/sw/nagios/build/nagios-2.5/module'
gcc -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -o helloworld.o
helloworld.c -L/usr/local/l
ib -G -bM:SRE -bnoentry -bexpall
gcc: unrecognized option `-G'
In file included from ../include/config.h:290,
                 from ../include/nebcallbacks.h:28,
                 from helloworld.c:27:
/usr/include/dlfcn.h:66: warning: `RTLD_NOW' redefined
../include/config.h:95: warning: this is the location of the
previous definition
/usr/include/dlfcn.h:72: warning: `RTLD_GLOBAL' redefined
../include/config.h:91: warning: this is the location of the
previous definition
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .main
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more
information.
gcc: file path prefix `/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/expall/2.95.3/'
never used
make[1]: *** [helloworld.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/opt/sw/nagios/build/nagios-2.5/module'
make: *** [all] Error 2

$ find . -type f -perm -0001|xargs file|grep -c RISC
18

$ find . -type f -name nagios -ls
594050 1704 -rwxr-xr-x  1 nagios   nagios    1743614 Nov 27 17:33
./base/nagios

$ ./base/nagios -h

Nagios 2.5
Copyright (c) 1999-2006 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
Last Modified: 07-13-2006
License: GPL

Usage: ./base/nagios [option] <main_config_file>

  -v   Reads all data in the configuration files and performs a
basic
       verification/sanity check.  Always make sure you verify
your
       config data before (re)starting Nagios.

  -s   Shows projected/recommended check scheduling information
based
       on the current data in the configuration files.

  -d   Starts Nagios in daemon mode (instead of as a foreground
process).
       This is the recommended way of starting Nagios for normal
operation.

Visit the Nagios website at http://www.nagios.org for bug fixes,
new
releases, online documentation, FAQs, information on subscribing
the mailing lists, and commercial and contract support for
Nagios.

$ ./base/nagios -v ../../etc/nagios.cfg 2>&1|tail -20
        command_list freed
        serviceescalation_list freed
        servicedependency_list freed
        hostdependency_list freed