CGI Interface Dropping Services

Gerd Mueller gmueller at netways.de
Thu Nov 23 12:18:59 CET 2006

Am Donnerstag, den 23.11.2006, 11:00 +0000 schrieb Hari Sekhon:
> of course you are correct, I should have thought of this.

*smile*

> I've noticed last night that when restarting nagios it doesn't manage
> to kill the process so instead I end up with extra procs, this is a
> real problem and if I can't figure out why it is then I will have to
> make a habbit of kill -9ing the damn thing or make the init script do
> that.
>
> Do you have any idea why the process would not go down. Is this a
> nagios problem not doing the right thing when receiving a kill signal?

Are you using version 2.5? The included init script should solve this
problem. But sometimes nagios needs a lot of time to stop running. I am
not sure but think that it's caused by slow plugins which have to stop
first. My advices are
1. use the init script which comes with nagios
2. Do not send a signal manuell nor use restart. Use stop, ps (to check
for nagios processes) and start nagios again.

Cheers,

Gerd