How do distributed setups work? (longish)

Patrick Morris patrick.morris at hp.com
Wed Nov 22 23:26:59 CET 2006

Hi Tobias!

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Tobias Klausmann wrote:

> 1) Documentation for NSCA is - mildly put - lacking. As far as I
> can tell, send-NSCA expects data tab-separated on stdin. It
> would've been nice to actually see an example for getting host
> and service data into it. Am I supposed to do something like
> "printf $X$\t$Y$\t$Z$|send_nsca -H ..." for the OCSP command?

There are examples in the default distribution that show how to do this.
Take a look in (on my platform, at least)
/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/eventhandlers/submit_nsca_result.  Your location
and filename may vary.

> 2) How does the information that a check should be disabled get
> from the central machine to the checkers? I've found no "usual"
> way of doing it?  Would it be necessary to setup some
> distribution via SSH to the checkers?

There are several different ways you could handle this, but you'd need
to find *some* way to get the information out to the machines doing the
checking.  For my prurposes, just turning off notifications has been
enough, and that's something you can do at the central box only if
that's where your notifications come from.

> 3) All machines setup to be check passively (i.e. by a checker)
> are displayed as "disabled" in the web front end. This is very
> counter-intuitive (they *are* checked, after all).

Yes, that's how they look when active checks are disabled.

> 4) There would have to be some mechanism of config distribution.
> Both the central machine and the checker need to agree on which
> services there are. Otherwise, some checks would never be
> executed or the central machine would ignore the submitted
> results.

People do this different ways, but I push the same config to all my
boxes (keeps synching easy), and have several service templates (for
example "location_a_service, location_b_service,i" etc.) defined on each
box.  At location A, a "location_a_service" is defined as active.  At
location b, it's defined as disabled.  At the central box, it's defined
as passive.

This allows me to keep per-box-configuration differences minimal, and
still allows configs to be kept in sync with minimal effort (in my case,
I rsync the whole damn thing over to every machine, except the one
small per-server config file).