please help with ignored service checks problem...

Jeremiah Coleman jcoleman at cctechnol.com
Wed Nov 22 18:12:03 CET 2006

I've been having a problem with some service checks not being run and
not being rescheduled.  For example, at 11:06:37, the scheduling queue
will shoe these services with N/A for the last check, and the next check
in the past.  I get no messages in the log whatsoever regarding these
checks.  I can run the commands as nagios in shell with no problems.

If someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong or give me an idea what to
look for, I'd much appreciate it.  Thank you for your time.

The checks are listed in objects.cache and status.dat:

objects.cache:  command_name    check_disk_smb
objects.cache:  command_line    $USER1$/check_disk_smb -H $HOSTADDRESS$
-s $ARG1$ -W xxxx -u xxxx -p xxxx -w 2G -c 1G
objects.cache:  check_command   check_disk_smb!Temp
objects.cache:  check_command   check_disk_smb!users
objects.cache:  check_command   check_disk_smb!data
objects.cache:  check_command   check_disk_smb!data1
objects.cache:  check_command   check_disk_smb!data2
status.dat:     check_command=check_disk_smb!Temp
status.dat:     check_command=check_disk_smb!users
status.dat:     check_command=check_disk_smb!data
status.dat:     check_command=check_disk_smb!data1
status.dat:     check_command=check_disk_smb!data2

objects.cache:  command_name    check_rpc
objects.cache:  command_line    $USER1$/check_rpc -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C
nfs -p 2049 -t
objects.cache:  check_command   check_rpc
objects.cache:  check_command   check_rpc
objects.cache:  check_command   check_rpc
status.dat:     check_command=check_rpc
status.dat:     check_command=check_rpc
status.dat:     check_command=check_rpc

The relevant configuration bits:

define command{
        command_name    check_disk_smb
        command_line    $USER1$/check_disk_smb -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -s $ARG1
$ -W cct
echnol -u nagios -p nagios1 -w 2G -c 1G
        }

define command{
        command_name    check_rpc
        command_line    $USER1$/check_rpc -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C nfs -p
2049 -t
        }

define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name
of servic
e template to use
        host_name                       kraken,luna,zeus
        service_description             NFS
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              4
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  admins
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        notification_interval           960
        notification_period             24x7
        check_command                   check_rpc
        }

define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name
of servic
e template to use
        host_name                       zeus
        service_description             /data